Re: New discussion: ppc64 installer -- ext2 /boot partition to keep yaboot happy.

On 10/31/2017 08:38 PM, Rick Thomas wrote:
> The only way I can contribute to this effort to get grub2 working on powerpc
> is if I get a clear, succinct set of instructions at the level of detail of,
> for example, “at this point in the installation, open a console window and
> download this file then run this command; when it asks for x, be sure to> answer y; then continue with the installation”.

If we had a clear list of instructions on what to do to get the grub-installer
component of debian-installer work properly on PowerPC_NewWorld, then I wouldn't
ask you to type in the commands manually, but I would just turn the individual
commands into code.

> If I can follow the instructions, I promise to provide full and complete
> information on the results.

Sorry, but this makes no sense. You are basically saying "Please give me a full
list of steps on how to make grub-installer work on this environment properly
so I can confirm something that you already know."

We are not in the position to have the full knowledge and while I have several
PowerPC NewWorld machines myself where I could develop the code on, I am asking
the mailing list to help me with this as I have too many other areas of construction
at the moment which I am working on and I don't have the time to perform test
installations over and over again to test the individual changes.

Frank has been very helpful by working through the code himself, making changes and
testing them and will hopefully send me a list of patches which I will just have
to submit to the individual debian-installer components.

If you want to help, I would suggest that you start reading the code in order to
understand it. It's mostly bash scripts with some Perl and C code. Then you can
just start modifying the installed scripts while debian-installer is running
and try running grub-installer again.

Look at what Frank did. He looked at the yaboot-installer code, then researched
what is necessary to manually install GRUB on PowerPC_NewWorld. Then he made
changes to grub-installer based on this knowledge and tested the changes, then
rinse and repeat. He would also report his findings to the mailing list and asked
for feedback.

Overall, what Frank has been doing has been very helpful and I am confident that
we will have grub-installer working on PowerPC_NewWorld soon.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz