powerpc/iBookG4 sid-iso (yaboot failing)

Hi,

Today I downloaded the latest powerpc/sid netinst iso[0] in order to
revive my iBookG4 (and hopefully help bring PowerPC back to
Debian/testing). Unfortunately the ISO image (burned to CD) would not
boot, causing various errors such as "Decrementer exception". Using
qemu, I can boot the CD medium, so the CD should be fine. Also, if I use
older yaboot-based ISO images, such as jessie or the openSUSE ISO image
mentioned (below), I have no problems. Searching around I found multiple
sites that claim the yaboot version 1.3.17 is to blame.

I realize I could just install jessie to my system and upgrade to
sid. But I have a strong interest in helping to get sid installable
out-of-the-box so that PowerPC can make its way back to testing.

I have a couple questions regarding the bootable ISO issue:

1. Can someone point me to some documentation (or scripts or anything)
   so I can look into building my own powerpc/netinst for sid using an
   older yaboot? I need some way to effectively debug this issue.

2. Last month there were talks of getting grub running instead of
   yaboot. Would that include the bootable ISO's as well or is it only
   for the installed Debian systems? I would be happy to offer my
   support for PowerPC (iBook/G4 and PowerBook/G4) testing/implementing.

John Ogness

[0] http://jenkins.kfreebsd.eu/jenkins/view/cd/job/debian-cd_sid_powerpc/ws/build/debian-unofficial-powerpc-NETINST-1.iso