Re: debian-9.0-ppc64-NETINST-1.iso results in "unknown or corrupt filesystem"

On 10/13/2017 04:04 AM, Rick Thomas wrote:

On Oct 11, 2017, at 9:16 AM, Dennis Clarke <dc@oetec.com> wrote:

Everything went along fine until reboot wherein I see an unknown or corrupt filesystem message :

Try installing with “use entire disk and set up LVM” (or words to that effect) at partitioning time.

I have been going in circles on it, off and on, for over a week. It is
a very frustrating install process wherein magic and strange things
happen in various ways. If you choose the expert installer then you get
a hard coded dist of "buster" and the whole process fails. There is no
way to get around that. One must abort the install and start over.

If one chooses the basic installer then you need to pull the network
cable from the machine or you get force fed a DHCP config. There is no
way to choose manual network config. So the DHCP times out and then one
may do manual network config and put the cable back in.  Silly but it
works.

For a sanity check I downloaded the jessie "oldstable" 8.8 full DVD for
powerpc and did a nice neat install.  No problems. All went well. I took
a look at the partition table on /dev/sda afterwards :

nix# df -h
/dev/sda3       440G  1.3G  417G   1% /
udev             10M     0   10M   0% /dev
tmpfs           1.6G   15M  1.6G   1% /run
tmpfs           4.0G     0  4.0G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs           4.0G     0  4.0G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sdb1       2.7T  781G  1.8T  30% /mnt/backup

I had an external backup disk at the time and that explains sdb.

nix# parted /dev/sda
GNU Parted 3.2
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print
Model: ATA Hitachi HDS72505 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: mac
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name      Flags
 1      512B    32.8kB  32.3kB                  Apple
 2      32.8kB  1033kB  1000kB  hfs             untitled  boot
 3      1033kB  480GB   480GB   ext4            untitled
 4      480GB   500GB   20.3GB  linux-swap(v1)  swap      swap

(parted) quit
nix#

Looks sane more or less with that oddball Apple thing and the weird
hfs filesystem for boot. However this is ye old yaboot way and with the
new grub2 we can expect that we won't need such things.

> That will cause it to set up a small ext2 partition for /boot, which
> will make yaboot happy, and put the rest of your system under control
> of the Logical Volume Manager, which doesn’t hurt anything and gives
> you greater flexibility if you decide to add a disk or otherwise
> reconfigure your storage system once it’s been up-and-running for a
> while.
>
> Rick

my thoughts : "you are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike"

I have tried over and over and over and over with variations of the
partitions wherein I had a small /boot which was ext2 as well as the
mystery Apple slice and without it. With LVM and saw errors that the
disk partition was broken in some mystical way.  I have seen the
whole install complete and then not able to boot :

https://node000.genunix.com/ppc64_deb_sid/20171011_151809_med.jpg

I have seen endless errors :

https://node000.genunix.com/ppc64_deb_sid/20171011_140323_med.jpg

The same machine runs jessie just fine. I just did the install. Only
minutes ago. I am now back to the most recent netinst for sid and I
am again looking at the "partition disks" menu. I can select to create
a new mac partition and then guided mode with one large filesystem.
Then delete the large filesystem that results from that and create a
small 1G /boot ext2 and then create a LVM vol with the rest. That seems
to be acceptable until one tries the next step and I get an error that
partitions overlap.

What I have not seen, is anyone post an actual image of an actual
working install partition. As they say in Missouri : ".. you have got
to show me."  I  believe it works and I have heard as much. I simply
have not seen it.

So here I am giving this a try again with the network cable unplugged
and manual network config and again fussing with the manual disk
partition phase.

Dennis