Re: New discussion: ppc64 installer -- ext2 /boot partition to keep sabot happy.

On 09/30/2017 12:31 AM, Rick Thomas wrote:
> I agree that it’s desirable to focus entirely on Grub — if only to avoid
> wasted effort on trying to support Yaboot.  I will help with that effort
> as a tester in any way I can.

I will push an updated image over the weekend which has GRUB almost working
perfectly for me now on my POWER7 server.

> However, as long as Yaboot continues to work, I think there’s no point in
> removing it and some point in continuing to make it available.

Except that it doesn't work. Remember that we have to disable modern features
in ext4 to make it work [1]. The other workaround is to enable an additional /boot
ext2 partition in partman-auto but that would conflict with GRUB which requires
/boot to be offs on NewWorld machines.

> For example, it’s still a vital part of oldstable (Jessie) on 32-bit Mac G4
> hardware.  Removing yaboot would be tantamount to declaring the Mac G4 hardware
> unsupported in oldstable, as we’re unlikely to want to generate boot media with
> grub for oldstable.

Removing a package from unstable does not affect packages in stable or oldstable,
so this argument is moot.

> I, for one, still have some of the G4 machines doing useful work, and I’d be
> disappointed to loose support for them.

Again, your argument is based on completely wrong assumptions.

> So, let’s focus on grub and leave yaboot alone — removing it at this time
> would only open up a can of worms we don’t need to get involved with.

The moment I have confirmed GRUB to work with my Mac Mini G4, my iBook G4,
my Mac G5 and my POWER7 server, I am going to have yaboot-installer removed
from the archives. I will leave Yaboot itself untouched but we might remove
the package from unstable soon as it is unmaintained and therefore a potential
source of security problems.

> If yaboot quits working for some reason, that’s another matter: broken and
> unsupported == should be removed.  But we’re not at that point yet.

Yes, we are. You are ignoring that this workaround [1] exists.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz