Re: New discussion: ppc64 installer -- ext2 /boot partition to keep sabot happy.

MPC620 needs to be reinstated .
On a biosynthoid/android you would have eight five core chips for the top part and eight five core chips for the lower part.
This would make the basic brain stem of the biosynthoid.
Merge Debian and FreeBSD together on the POWER architecture.
The boot loaders will need to be done in a standard language of FORTH.
FreeBSD will be the base/core system with Debian running as user through the hypervisor.
This will allow bare metal and virtual to run as one without trouble.
I'll get to the XOrg layout later.

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 8:24 AM, Milan Kupcevic <milan@debian.org> wrote:
On 09/29/2017 03:16 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 09/29/2017 08:50 AM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
>> (...)
>> To be able  to load the yaboot config file from the partition that holds the root FS,
>> yaboot needs to know which partition to use. Hence I assume there has to
>> be an additional configuration file that is loaded maybe from the PReP partition.
>
> Thanks for the elaborate answer. However, I have come to the conclusion now that
> I am going to drop Yaboot from debian-installer in favor of GRUB, both on powerpc
> as well as ppc64 and even on sparc64.
>
> I have made some progress and the grub-installer entries already show up in the
> menus of the debian-installer images for ppc64 and sparc64, there is still some
> work left until everything works correctly though.
>
> Yaboot itself is a lost cause in my opinion. Users have to resort to workarounds
> and upstream is factually dead and it's therefore probably just a matter of
> time until the package gets removed from Debian. Let's just focus on GRUB
> then.

I fully agree. As soon as creation of bootable iso images transit to
GRUB I can safely ask FTP masters to remove yaboot from Debian repositories.

Milan