Re: POWER6 not seeing memory above 2Gb

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 11:45:10AM -0400, Adam Stouffer wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 10:21 AM, Lennart Sorensen
> <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote
> >

> > That ought to be working.  I know the p520 I worked with before it
> > worked fine.
> >
> > Which bootloader are you using?  I use grub2, just in case the bootloader
> > has anything to do with memory detection in linux.
> >
> > --
> > Len Sorensen
>

> Ah, that might be the case. Yaboot seemed to have some install issues
> anyhow. What would be the best way to switch from yaboot to grub2?

Good question.  I installed the machine with grub2 originally years ago,
so I didn't have to try (I wanted MD raid1 which yaboot couldn't handle
at that time, so I wanted grub2 to work, no matter what it took).  Took
some work at the time, debugging disk issues and other issues in grub2,
but eventually grub2 got to the point of working on the p520 properly.
These days it ought to just work.

I remember needing a Prep boot partition, which grub-install was then
pointed at.  I can't remember if yaboot does it the same way.

It might be as simple as installing the grub-ieee1275 package and running
grub-install /dev/sda1 (assuming sda1 is the PReP boot partition).

--
Len Sorensen