Re: no password on G4

On 02/13/2016 03:02 PM, Klaus Becker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> someone offered me a Mac G4 with Debian 7 installed. It works, but I have no
> password, neither user nor root.
>
> The bootloader is yaboot.
>
> There is no CDROM on the machine.

Try to start Debian installer form an external firewire cd/dvd
drive. See:

 http://lists.debian.org/4FDD55CC.7020403@physics.harvard.edu

Or try to boot the installer form an USB stick directly. It
is not quite straightforward how to do it, but try this:

Copy .iso to a USB memory stick using dd.

 sudo dd if=debian-powerpc-netinst.iso of=/dev/sd[x]

Unplug all USB devices and hubs, except the keyboard and mouse.

Plug the USB memory stick directly into the machine. Restart the machine
while holding option+command+o+f keys.

On the Open Firmware prompt type:

 boot usb0/disk:,\install\yaboot

if it does not work, one of these should:

 boot usb1/disk:,\install\yaboot
 boot usb2/disk:,\install\yaboot
 boot usb-1a/disk:,\install\yaboot
 boot usb-1b/disk:,\install\yaboot
 boot usb-1c/disk:,\install\yaboot
 boot usb-2a/disk:,\install\yaboot
 boot usb-2b/disk:,\install\yaboot
 boot usb-2c/disk:,\install\yaboot

On some machines usb device aliases can be different. To get hints where
the USB device is and which alias could be the right one, type:

 devalias

and

 dev / ls