Re: Release Architectures for Debian 9 'Stretch'

On Nov 3, 2016, at 11:17 PM, Christoph Biedl <debian.axhn@manchmal.in-ulm.de> wrote:

> Herminio Hernandez, Jr. wrote...
>
>> On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Will there be an LTS (long-term-support) release for powerpc — best would
>>> be one based on Jessie?
>>
>> No there is no lts for ppc only i386, amd64, and arm
>>
>> https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/
>
> Perhaps Rick's question was about a future jessie-LTS for powerpc.
> That would extend powerpc support beyond around spring 2018. I bet the
> LTS folks will not object in general. However somebody, more than one
> person, should be willing and able to support this.
>
> It's however more than a year until this becomes an issue.
>
>    Christoph

Thanks, Christoph…  Yes, that was my question.  I’m hoping to get another couple of good years out of my old PowerPC Macs before security updates stop being available.

I’ll volunteer to do what I can to help with the support effort.  I’m not a developer but I can certainly test new software and provide detailed reports to the developers.  I’ve got over 40 years of professional experience doing just that!

Rick