Re: Moving powerpc to Debian Ports

On 2016-11-02 00:30, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Hi Aurelien!
>
> On 11/01/2016 09:00 PM, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> >> Since Debian powerpc was recently announced to be removed as a release architecture,
> >> I would like to formally request to move the port to Debian Ports as there still seems
> >> to be quite some demand among users [1].
> >
> > As stated in the announcement from debian-release, this doesn't mean
> > that powerpc is going to be removed from the debian archive. I wonder if
> > it is a good idea to rush on that, especially given that you have been
> > the one complaining regularly that mini-dak is not so good as dak.
>
> Well, frankly, I'm not sure I'm very confident that this promise will
> be held up. Both ia64 and sparc were release architectures in Wheezy,
> dropped in Jessie and consequently removed both from the FTP servers
> and the buildd infrastructure despite being popular according to
> popcon.

Nobody asked for ia64 and sparc to be kept, so they have just been
removed. FTR kfreebsd-amd64 and kfreebsd-i386 are still there. There is
even a jessie-kfreebsd suite. Maybe talking with ftpmasters is the way
to go instead of already considering the outcome, at least it worked for
kfreebsd.

Aurelien