Re: Supported Hardware ?

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 12:33:51PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 02:16:54PM +0200, Erik Brangs wrote:
> > I would be interested in a 32-bit multi-core PPC machine that is "desktop-ish" and can run Debian powerpc (i.e. not powerpcspe). Does anyone happen to know any machines that fit these requirements? The only thing I could find were old Macs. From what I could gather from reading this list, it seems that there a quite a few problems with those. Also, I'd prefer something newer, if possible.
>
> Well, there is the Amiga X1000, which is a dual core, and runs about $3000
> (ouch).
>
> There is the Amiga X5000 that is probably coming at some point.
>
> There is the talos workstation under development, with a power8 (so
> actually pretty new stuff) which appears to be about $4000 (for the board,
> CPU and RAM are extra), assuming they get it made.
> https://www.crowdsupply.com/raptor-computing-systems/talos-secure-workstation
> If they make these, they will be very impressive I think, but not cheap.
>
> There are probably a few more options (freescale quad core reference
> boards maybe?)

There is a reference board for the T2080 for example which appears to
be $1500, and has quad core T2080 with two threads per core.

Now does it run debian yet, or is parts needed to be added to the kernel,
I don't know.  I haven't used that one.  It also doesn't have graphics
as far as I can tell, and does not appear to have enough PCIe to add a
video card either.  I guess that's the problem with a lot of the
embedded chips.

--
Len Sorensen