Re: old G5 iMac with NVIDIA card

Hi Steven,

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 9:24 PM, Lennart Sorensen
<lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 12:13:35PM -0400, Steven Grunza wrote:
>> Does anyone know if the nouveau driver will work with an old G5 PowerPC and
>> the GeForce FX G05200 it originally used?
>>
>> The last time I tried it had numerous problems (no graphics, kernel panics,
>> etc).
>>
>> lsusb reports the video card as:
>>
>>  NVIDIA Corporation NV34M [GeForce FX Go5200]  (rev a1)
>>

>> Various versions of jessie failed in various ways.  Does Stretch have a
>> different version of the nouveau driver?  Since the machine is PowerPC I
>> can't use the NVIDIA driver.
>
> my understanding is that it does NOT work with a 64bit kernel with a
> page size other than 4K, which means the kernel currently in Debian does
> not work.  Someone has posted a link on the list to a kernel built with
> 4K pages that is supposed to work.
>
> I think that is the current state of things.

That's correct. You'll need to recompile your kernel and change the
option PPC_64K_PAGES:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2016/05/msg00008.html

ATI card should work out of the box.

Please note that GNOME/KDE may have other restrictions, so I would
suggest you use MATE and/or XFCE instead.

-M