Re: Power Mac G5: Attempting to get 2D acceleration with nouveau and 6800 Ultra

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 8:44 AM, Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> wrote:

> On May 8, 2016, at 11:06 PM, Mathieu Malaterre <malat@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 12:49 AM, Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Is there a hardware solution?  Is there a non-Nvidia graphics card I
>>> could purchase and install in my PowerMac-G5 11,2 that wouldn’t have the
>>> problem?   I don’t need anything fancy.  Just enough to run a simple 2D
>>> mate or xfce desktop.
>>
>> My Mac Mini G4 has a RV280 GPU (“Radeon 9200"), so I know this -somewhat- works.
>
> Thanks… That’s good to know.
>
> But does it work in a G5 64-bit machine?
>
> If I understand correctly, that’s the problem with the Nvidia boards — the nouveau driver doesn’t work in a 64-bit environment with the huge page option that is native to that environment.  So Peter’s software change configures it to use the smaller page size which is native to the 32-bit environment, but available for backwards compatibility in the 64-bit environment as well…
>
> Please correct me if I’ve got it wrong.

The above is correct.

If you want to stick with your actual nvidia graphics cards (until the
bug is fixed upstream in nouveau), you are required to rebuild your
kernel and change the setting for PPC_64K_PAGES.

refs:
https://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/ch08s06.html.en
https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.kernel-compilation.html