Re: Power Mac G5: Attempting to get 2D acceleration with nouveau and 6800 Ultra

On Mon, May 9, 2016, at 12:24 AM, Bertrand Dekoninck wrote:

> I'm still on wheezy on PowerMac7.3 with Radeon-9600 AGP (rv350). It
> works without 3d (with fbdev I think)
>
> I did test once again Debian-8.5 last week on the same machine : it
> works as well now (it was kindof broken in 8.0).
>
> I didn't test video playback and 3d this time. The last time i did, 3d
> worked but there was an endianness bug with colors in gnome-shell. And
> it was slow (menus were slower than without 3d).
>
> The most painfull was a black screen and/or the inability to correctly
> configure the screen resolution of the screen due to a mismatch between
> the two DVI outputs of the card : the dedicated xorg option (Option
> "ReverseDDC") didn't work for me. So I was forced to randomly and
> manually switch between DVI-0 and DVI-1 output.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Bertrand Dekoninck

Thanks Bertrand.  It's good to know that there is at least one hardware
fix, though it sounds like there may be fair bit of testing that has to
be done to make it work reliably.  I'll hold this in reserve if I can't
figure out the instructions for building my a re-configured kernel.

Enjoy!
Rick