Re: G4 MacMini network boot of install media failing at system clock set

If your G4 mini is having trouble with the internal hard-drive, you might try installing to an external FireWire hard drive.  Booting from FireWire is a supported feature of the NewWorld Mac OpenFirmware.  While booting from USB is possible with some models, it’s not as well supported.

My G4 minis (I have 3) all have, at one time or another, booted from a FireWire external.  But YMMV, of course.

Also, if you suspect the problem is with the internal HD itself (i.e. not a problem with the motherboard), it’s not too difficult to replace it with an SSD, which would make the G4 mini a bit more responsive.

Good luck on getting it running.  They are great little machines!

Rick