Re: PPC64 port status

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 4:30 PM, Lennart Sorensen
<lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 04:26:59PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> Let me rephrase that in: "Wow somebody (user)tagged specifically with
>> ppc64 the nouveau bugs" ... :)
>>
>> This was not clear. But the offer to ppc64 machine(s) was made by the
>> ppc64el people:
>>
>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2015/06/msg00015.html
>>
>> As you mentioned this is non-trivial to get access to a ppc64 machine otherwise.
>
> Certainly.  And getting access to one of the ones that causes trouble
> by not having VMX seems even harder in fact.
>
> I wonder if there is any easy way to scan binaries for VMX instructions
> to see which ones actually need rebuilding.

Interesting. Debian BTS is full of reports from people using 586 cpu
where SSE instructions makes the process crash[*]. So if anything can
be done to detect that at PPC64 level it should be propagated to 586
people...

2cts
[*] https://bugs.debian.org/764291