Re: Wheezy

I found the rescue install option in an Ubuntu install.Debian and Ubuntu are basically identical except for the GUI. I use the install-free option (or something like that).

Sent from MSN

From: Brock Wittrock <brockwittrock@gmail.com>
Sent: March 29, 2016 11:00 AM
To: Steven Grunza; debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Wheezy

When you boot from the Jessie install CD, hit tab at the yaboot prompt.  Should be a rescue option listed among others.  So simply type rescue and hit Enter.  Once booted into rescue mode, it'll feel like you are working through a normal install until you get to the step where you'll be asked what drive/partition you want to mount to make changes on.  Your choice will vary depending on how you partitioned the drive during the install, but you'll want to mount the partition containing the root filesystem.  If you aren't sure, you can always just start going through the list and selecting each one until it finds a valid root fs.

Once you have properly updated your /etc/yaboot.conf file and ran ybin (-v if you want output of the results) to apply the changes go ahead and exit rescue mode and reboot your system hopefully to a working login screen.  I know, these steps were quite vague, but I don't have a system in front of me to provide more details from at the moment, but hopefully it at least puts you in the right direction.

Also, you don't necessarily have to update your initrd symlink to point to your new initrd.  Just provide the full name of the new initrd in your yaboot file.

PPC systems can be a bit of pain to get up and running, but I personally enjoy that aspect of using them as it's good way to get an even stronger handle on how computers work and how things work specifically on Linux.

Brock