Re: Moving an install between architectures

Hello Kelly!

I've moved my personal desktop system from i386 (Pentium III) to ppc
(Power Mac G4) to ppc64 (Power Mac G5) to amd64 (AMD Phenom 2). I used
Gentoo linux though.

All user data, configuration files, databases, documents etc. works like
a charm on another architecture. I transferred by whole home directory
without changing anything and got the same desktop on the other system.

Some files, especially in /etc, will have to be adapted for them to work.

APM disks are fine on any architecture, but not as boot media. Also, a
stock kernel (like on Debian, I guess) will likely not have support for
APM compiled in if not on powerpc.

On Gentoo, I still have a HDD that is APM formated and I can use it
normally. On Debian you would have to compile your own kernel for it to
work.
Also, you will require a second HDD/SDD/*bootable media to boot from,
and then you can access the APM disk from the running system.

On Gentoo, mac-fdisk was building fine (with Gentoo-specific patches) on
my amd64 system. I looked for mac-fdisk on Debian i386/amd64, but it is
not available except on powerpc.
With parted there is a working alternative though.

So, yes, partly it will work.
No, installing on top will not work, due to the Apple Partition Map –
not bootable on Intel machines.

The same is true when trying to switch between BIOS and UEFI on
Intel/AMD64: it can be done, but not without headache and a lot of
getting into it (reading, losing hair). That is due to BIOS requires MBR
(Master Boot Record) partitioning, UEFI required GPT (GUID Partition
Table). Otherwise there will be boot problems.

It will work relatively easy to use a new HDD/SSD for the new
architecture, install the OS of your choice (Debian). Then build a
custom kernel, include the partitioning scheme for the old HDD, like
APM, and use the old HDD as your /home and /var partitions.

Be carefull with RAID configurations, get them right in /etc/*.

Good luck!
Andreas  aka  Linux User #330250