Re: Debian PowerPC and PowerPC Notebook.

On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 08:31:39PM +0100, Linux User #330250 wrote:
> Running 32-bit vs. 64-bit on powerpc makes me wonder… Is there a
> multilib version of Debian powerpc?

Well there are packages like lib64readline5 and libc6-ppc64 which
provide 64 bit libraries as part of 32bit debian powerpc.  And of course
64bit kernels are provided too.

> I've been running Gentoo and Debian on my Power Mac G4 and G5. To  me,
> the problem seemed to be that I could not run selected programs 64-bit
> (as suggested), because that would have meant to go for something
> similar to x86+amd64 multilib on powerpc/ppc64 – something a regular
> user is certainly unable to pull out of the hat.

Well some of it is there.  Of course with jessie, using multiarch and
installing selected packages from ppc64 onto a powerpc system should
work fine (except with binNMUs screw up a package from being multiarch
installable).

--
Len Sorensen