Re: yaboot: How to load Debian8 netboot installation images directly from the boot: prompt?

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 2:09 PM, Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> wrote:
On Tue, 26 May 2015 13:16:04 +0800
Clark Wang <dearvoid@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Herminio Hernandez Jr <
> herminio.hernandezjr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2015-05-26 at 10:22 +0800, Clark Wang wrote:
> > > I have an `iBook G4` and have `Debian 8 (Jessie)` installed on it.
> > > Yesterday I did something stupid (messed up `yaboot.conf` and ran
> > > `ybin`) and now the system cannot boot up.
> > >
> > > The old Debian 8 was installed on a single partition (`/dev/sda3`,
> > > `ext4`). I ever put the Debian 8 netboot installation images
> > > (downloaded from here) under `/boot/deb/`:
> > >
> > >     /boot/deb/initrd.gz
> > >     /boot/deb/vmlinux
> > >     /boot/deb/yaboot
> > >     /boot/deb/yaboot.conf
> > >
> > > So how can I boot the netboot installation images from the `boot:`
> > > prompt and reinstall Debian 8?
> > >
> > > I tried `boot: hd:3,/boot/deb/vmlinux root=/dev/ram read-only
> > > initrd=/boot/deb/initrd.gz initrd-size=3000000` but it did not
> > > work. (The screenshot taken with my phone.)
> > >

> > > Thanks.
> > >

> > > -clark
> > >
> > You can use the netinst cd as a recovery cd by doing the following.
> >

> I forgot to mention that my iBook's CD drive is broken. :)
>

> > 1. boot into the cd and at boot type recovery
> >

> Or can I boot the netboot installation images (under /boot/deb/) from
> the Open Firmware prompt?

Can the machine boot from a USB flash drive? Or over the network? One
of these approaches might be easier for you.

I'm trying to find out how to boot form USB. Boot from network also sounds good. I'll investigate how to setup a DHCP and TFTP server on my OS X (Yosemite) and how to boot iBook from network.

Other than that, I'm afraid I can't help you - I know nothing about
yaboot.

I never know about yaboot and Open Firmware when I was using Mac OS X on the iBook. They're all mysterious to me. Still learning. :)

Thanks.

-clark

Petter

--