Re: yaboot: How to load Debian8 netboot installation images directly from the boot: prompt?

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Herminio Hernandez Jr <herminio.hernandezjr@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, 2015-05-26 at 10:22 +0800, Clark Wang wrote:
> I have an `iBook G4` and have `Debian 8 (Jessie)` installed on it.
> Yesterday I did something stupid (messed up `yaboot.conf` and ran
> `ybin`) and now the system cannot boot up.
>
> The old Debian 8 was installed on a single partition (`/dev/sda3`,
> `ext4`). I ever put the Debian 8 netboot installation images
> (downloaded from here) under `/boot/deb/`:
>
>     /boot/deb/initrd.gz
>     /boot/deb/vmlinux
>     /boot/deb/yaboot
>     /boot/deb/yaboot.conf
>
> So how can I boot the netboot installation images from the `boot:`
> prompt and reinstall Debian 8?
>
> I tried `boot: hd:3,/boot/deb/vmlinux root=/dev/ram read-only
> initrd=/boot/deb/initrd.gz initrd-size=3000000` but it did not work.
> (The screenshot taken with my phone.)
>

> Thanks.
>

> -clark

You can use the netinst cd as a recovery cd by doing the following.

I forgot to mention that my iBook's CD drive is broken. :)

1. boot into the cd and at boot type recovery

Or can I boot the netboot installation images (under /boot/deb/) from the Open Firmware prompt?

-clark

2. the cd will go through the initial install process, when you get to
the part that it is setting up dhcp there should be either a 'cancell'
or 'go back' option on the bottom left. Select it
3. it should take you to a list of options one of which is recovery
mode. select that and from there you should be able to get to a bash
prompt and fix yaboot.