Re: HELP: test kernel patches on the real thing -- installs but won't reboot after install...

On Apr 27, 2015, at 4:22 PM, Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 4/27/2015 1:46 PM, Milan Kupcevic wrote:
>> On 04/27/2015 04:21 PM, Rick Thomas wrote:
>>> I have a dual processor G5 tower Mac that has the “wind tunnel”
>>> problem.
>> Do you have this problem with the final Jessie release?
>> Milan
> I haven't tried Jessie final release on it yet.  I'll give it a shot tonight.
> Enjoy!
> Rick

I tried installing jessie final on it.  The installer runs OK to completion but when it comes time to reboot into the installed system, I get “Loading second stage bootloader…” and a folder icon with a blinking “?” in the middle.

I tried booting from the DVD in “rescue” mode and installing the bootstrap again from the rescue menu.  No help…

The machine in question is a Power Mac dual core G5 similar to the one shown on this web page —
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/specs/powermac_g5_dual_2.0.html

Also, the installer seemed to have trouble getting an IPv4 dhcp address (though it does fine at getting an IPv6 address from the local router — so it looks like there’s no problem with the network hardware.)

I’ve had wheezy installed and running happily on this machine recently.

Any thoughts?

Rick