Re: Problems booting debian after upgrade to jessie and running ybin

On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 21:13:31 +0100
Michael Schaffner <lists@nopanik.org> wrote:
> I don't have any clue what's going on and what further steps I could
> take. After all, this device has booted all 3 OSes successfully for
> ages.

Hi Michael,

I cannot help you with yaboot, as I have stopped using it for years, my
powerbook G4 runs grub2 since a couple of years without any problems,
my suggestion would be to just ditch yaboot and its problems and try
grub2 on your macmini G4 (I think it should run). You could easily
setup your other OSes there, just like on an x86. A good howto can be
found here:

http://cynic.cc/blog/posts/running_grub2_on_powerpc_macs/

But I found that just copying the default grub.img from the grub2-ieee
package to my Apple_HFS partition (after setting up grub.cfg ofc), and
rebooting to OF, it's as simple as doing:

boot hd:2,grub.img

I've pretty much forgotten about booting on my G4 ever since. I'm sorry
if I didn't have a suggestion for your yaboot problem, but assuming you
fix this it might be a good idea to think about ditching it for ever.

My 2c.

Konstantinos