Re: New architecture ppc64el on Debian

On 09/23/2013 11:43 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 06:08:12PM +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
>> I suppose I'm not really one privileged to express these reactions, but I
>> tend to be a loose cannon sometimes.
>>
>> ???
>>
>> (Checking my calendar. Nope, I haven't suddenly slipped back to the early
>> 1990s.)
>>
>> (Still puzzled.)
>
> Well I see patches for linux on powerpc in little endian mode (it is software
> selectable on most powerpc chips as far as I know) were submitted in August of
> this year, and patches to qemu were done around the same time to support
> emulating little endian mode powerpc.
Right. Kernel, toolchain and qemu had their patches already to enable ppc64 little
endian.

>> Not that it's my problem to worry about at all.
>>
>> My impression is that the sooner you can have the new target hardware
>> available to donate to the build farms the better, as someone else has also
>> mentioned.
>
> Hardware has existed for years.  It just isn't the mode if is normally used
> in.
Right. I am also working in a way to provide three machines to the Debian server
farm. Unfortunatelly I still don't have a date, but definitely we would like to
have machines on Debian server farm.

So, we will not need to change ppc64 machines that Debian has for now.

>> You've had several people hint. I've hinted, too. It seems like there is
>> something that needs to be explained.
Right. Since Power processor can run in little endian and big-endian, there are
some advantages of using PowerPC in little endian mode, as Lennart told.
Moreover, it ease the process of porting from x86 to ppc64, since porting process
doesn't need to care about endianess.