Re: powerpcspe in Debian

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 11:59:39PM +0100, Roland Stigge wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,

> On 19/11/12 21:58, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:
> >> At http://antcom.de/powerpcspe/patches/ there are my patches for
> >> gcc-4.6, gcc-4.7 and gcc-defaults.
> >
> > Please remove *-multilib support from your patches, it should build without
> > it.
>
> Already done, as you can see in the patches in the powerpcspe specific
> bugs and discussed with Matthias.

Okay. It wasn't while I look. Good that it done, thanks.

> Yes, that should work now also. Stuff is rebuilding currently anyway.
> About 4000 binary packages in my repo currently. Will get back to you
> when questions occur.
Good to hear.

> > Could you be more specific here please? I see 1.49.0-3.1 at
> >  http://packages.qa.debian.org/b/boost1.49.html
> >  http://buildd.debian-ports.org/status/package.php?p=boost1.49
> > which looks fine. The boost-defaults package is 1.49.0.1. I don't see 1.49.1.1
> > anywhere.
>
> Well, boost1.49 is actually not there, but boost-defaults 1.49.1.1 :
>
> http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-ports/pool-powerpcspe/main/b/boost-defaults/
>
> while only 1.49.0.1 is in unstable/experimental source. That's what I
> meant. Sorry for the confusion.
Yeah. So on powerpcspe there is 1.46.1.1 built while 1.49.0.1 is in unstable.
That means you should build the boost-defaults package once you built
boost1.49 itself.
Sticking to a different version may lead to a few kind problems:
- a random package assumes boost1.49 and does not build with boost1.46
- package assumes that boost1.49 comes as a dependency and behaves differently
  / does not build with boost1.46

This kind of problems happen from time to time. You check the buildd status
page and the package built on some arches and some it did not. Once you
compare the packages that have been pulled in you see the difference :)

> Thanks,
>
> Roland

Sebastian