Re: How to upgrade 6 - 7

On Sep 17, 2012, at 11:03 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 07:25:27PM -0400, Logan Brown wrote:
I would never recommend attempting a dist upgrade to unstable. I've
tried it twice in the past, and both times led to reinstalling the
from scratch. Dependencies get mixed up, and you're left with a highly
unstable "bastardized" system.

Funny given that is pretty much the "Official" method for getting an
install of unstable, given the installer often is too out of date to
handle unstable directly.

I have never had an issue dist upgrading to unstable from stable.

Now if you happen to hit in the middle of a big transition, then things may break, but that is true if you are already running unstable and try
to dist upgrade in that case.

Hi Kristen,

If I want to run "unstable" (aka "Sid") I'll generally install "testing" (currently "Wheezy") and then do a dist-upgrade to "unstable" -- for all the reasons Len has stated. But this isn't what you wanted, if I'm reading it correctly.

You say you are running stable/"Squeeze" and are thinking of upgrading to "testing"/"Wheezy", no mention of "unstable"/"Sid". That makes it all a bit easier.

If past releases are anything to go by, there will be a document giving all the particulars of how to dist-upgrade Squeeze->Wheezy, and a list of "gotchas" to avoid, when Wheezy is released. Until that time, you can read the previous release documents to get an idea of what kinds of things can come up. If you decide to go ahead, you'll be a pioneer, exploring new territory. Please report your experiences; they will be useful input to the final upgrade document when it's written.

And, of course, if you have problems, the list is always here to help!

Enjoy!
Rick