Install problems: squeeze and G5

I have a G5 with a bad internal DVD drive. I've attached an external drive, and used it to create a 50GB free space partition, a 50GB Mac partition, and install OS X.
- with OS X running, I can mount a Debian squeeze CD "debian-6.0.5-powerpc-netinst", look at files, etc.

I can't boot from the CD. I tried a a hard disk install; I can get yaboot to run but get "unknown or corrupt filesystem" on every install option.

On a G4, the same Debian CD boots from its internal DVD drive and  I can go right into the installer.

Can anyone suggest something?  I have tried going into openfirmware and trying to boot directly from the CD but haven't stumbled on the correct path.

Richard Crane

-------

Haskins Laboratories / (203) 865-6163 X 275 /  FAX (203) 865-8963

300 George Street/New Haven, CT 06511