Re: ATLAS on PowerPC

On Thursday, July 05, 2012 11:05:50 AM HP wrote:
> On 05.07.2012 17:35, Rick Thomas wrote:
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > This worries me.  I have a similar machine.  Currently it's
> > running MacOS-X, but I plan to convert it to Debian soon.  As with
> > yours, it has the GeForce 6600 card.
> >
> > Do you have a recommendation for what video card I should get to
> > replace it?  My video needs are minimal, I just need to be able to
> > run iceweasel and  xterm and a few 2D-gui system administration
> > packages.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Rick
>
> Hi,
>
> Just test it out first.
> I got a nvidia 6600 card in my G5, running gnome-shell without much
> problems.
> Sometimes things glitch out, but thats related to me running testing
> and experimental stuff, usually problems go away by waiting one week
> and update again (or better, report the bugs....i promise to do that
> more often :-p )
>
> HP

Hi HP-

Thanks for your note.

 All that I have seen since the first boot after installation is the lower
rightmost login splash in the lower right corner of the screen (about a
quarter of the screen wide.)

Maybe this can explain it: are you running gdm3?  (That appears to be the
default manager after install.)

Also, do you have any observations about MDM?  xdm?

Thanks,
Dave