Re: ATLAS on PowerPC

On Jul 4, 2012, at 3:02 PM, David Adcock wrote:

Also I recently purchased a (used) G5-2.3GHz-2Core. Probably MANY of these units will be coming on the market as leases expire, etc. An earlier post appears to be completely correct: Debian on the 64-bit architecture does not seem to be well supported. The unix-ish part of the machine seems to run quite well (and FAST!), but high-order features - mainly nouveau - are nowhere near working, so I have to ssh into it and run exclusively via command line. Alas, most of these G5 Macs have the GeForce 6600 card, and may be condemned to inadequate nouveau support -or- purchase of a non-nVidia graphics card.

Hi Dave,

This worries me. I have a similar machine. Currently it's running MacOS-X, but I plan to convert it to Debian soon. As with yours, it has the GeForce 6600 card.

Do you have a recommendation for what video card I should get to replace it? My video needs are minimal, I just need to be able to run iceweasel and xterm and a few 2D-gui system administration packages.

Thanks!

Rick