Re: Video problems: 6.0.5(64-bit) - G5 - nouveau

On Friday, June 08, 2012 02:24:23 AM Tiresia GIUNO wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 18:27:13 -0500
>
> David Adcock <david.adcock@lonestarbio.com> wrote:
> > Installed (64-bit) Squeeze on a G5 Tower (2.3, dual core, GeForce
> > 6600).  Installation had no issues.
> >
> > Bootup of the system runs well until X starts.  Then I get *EXACTLY*
> >
> > this following message:
> >       driver version.  Please carefully read all instructions on
> >
> > (which is repeated one time after a few blank lines.)  Following
> > that, the login splash screen comes up, but only the rightmost 1/4 of
> > the screen is visible, and this part does not reach the top of the
> > screen; the rest of the screen is dark.
> >
> > I think maybe if I knew *WHICH* driver, or *WHERE* to look, this
> > could be easy to remediate.  nouveau?  xserver?  something else?
>
> Hi,
>
> I have the same machine running Debian Squeeze. Not sure if I can help
> you, but just a simple remark. The Goforce Card has two connection. Be
> sure to use the first one (with the second I got a similar problem, if
> I remember correctly)

Thanks for your note.  Yes, I fought this battle for a day.  OSX doesn't care
which HD port you use (and might even work on the TV port.)  However I started
on DVI-2 and all I could get was a blank screen.  One reference I saw claimed
that nouveau requires DVI-1 (and it never hurts to disable DVI-2 and the TV
connector...)  When I switched over to DVI-1, I started getting the boot-up
messages, etc.  So I think I just need to upgrade something.

Thanks again,
Dave