Re: graphics card for PowerPC G5 and debian-6.0.3-ppc

On Don, 2012-02-16 at 10:19 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 09:58:40AM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > For Radeons, that's only true for older cards without ATOM BIOS,
> > basically anything older than Radeon X1xxx. So this shouldn't be a
> > problem for a Radeon HD 5450, but there might be other issues, e.g. the
> > drivers in the stable release might be too old to properly support that
> > card.
>
> I wouldn't have thought they made AGP cards of anything that new.

He was asking about a PCI card.

> I also don't see how a powermac would have a working startup screen and
> boot loader and such if it didn't know how to initialize the video card,
> hence the likely need for a mac specific version of the card.
>
> Sure you might be able to get X running once booted, but its easier to
> work on a system with working graphics during the entire boot (yes I
> know you can probably use a serial console on a lot of the powermacs if
> you had to).

You're right, although with KMS, console will work as soon as the radeon
kernel module is loaded (which can happen very early, e.g. via initrd).
But that still won't help if ther display is needed before that.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer           |                   http://www.amd.com