Re: graphics card for PowerPC G5 and debian-6.0.3-ppc

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 08:06:26PM +0100, szukw000@arcor.de wrote:
> I have debian-6.0.3-ppc installed on a PowerMac G5.
>
> The graphics card used is a ATI Radeon 9600 AP (AGP)
> with one backward key(1.5V key).
>
> The board has one AGP slot; and 3 PCI slots (length ~125 mm).
>
> 1. Is it possible to use a Radeon HD 5450 PCI card with
>    debian-6.0.3-ppc?
>
> 2. Is it possible to use a GeForce 6800GT AGP card with
>    debian-6.0.3-ppc? This card has one backward key(1.5V key)
>    like the ATI Radeon 9600.
>
> 3. Must I buy a completely other card?

My understanding is that you need a card with Mac compatible firmware
on it.  A PC card will not work.  There are people that have managed to
modify the firmware on PC cards to make them work in Macs, but I have
no idea where to get info on doing that.

--
Len Sorensen