Re: Question about compatibility...

For what it's worth, there is a dedicated XFCE & LXDE install CD for
PPC in both stable and testing. Your mileage may vary but I've had
better luck using the stable ISO which -- if you choose the advanced
option -- will also allow you to choose to install a system from
either stable, testing, or unstable packages. It runs quite well  in
1Gb RAM on my Mac mini (PowerMac10,1). However, I highly recommend
using LXDE on systems with limited resources as I have tried XFCE a
couple of times and it seems -- at least on my hardware -- to spawn
more CPU/RAM consumptive processes than LXDE.

-Gar