Re: Question about compatibility...

I am running debian sid with stumpwm (used gnome before) on the 12 inch ibook g4 late 2004 which is a 1.2mhz. it runs fine as a nice portable laptop and they seem reasonably cheap these days.

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp68

it is the ibook version of your powerbook and it is very nice with a reasonable power utilization on battery and reasonable sleeping etc.

mitchell