Re: Question about compatibility...

On 6 Oct, 2011, at 11:21 AM, John Ames wrote:

> I'm going to be purchasing an aluminum Powerbook G4 on which I want to
> run Debian. However, I'm trying to decide which model. Initially I was
> looking at the 12" 1.5GHz model (M9690LL/A,) which is roughly on par
> with the laptop I have now, specs-wise, and that fills my needs pretty
> adequately. However, I've also been giving some consideration to the
> 15" 1.67GHz model (M9969LL/A); it's a bit pricier, but it can take
> more RAM and has a Radeon chipset instead of a GeForce chipset, which
> means better driver support.
>
> All things considered, I think I'm leaning more towards the 12" model,
> though - I really don't like big laptops, and 12" is about as large as
> I really want to go. My question is, how's the compatibility? It looks
> from the nouveau page like support for the GeForce FX Go5200 is about
> on par with support for the GeForce 7800 in my Power Mac G5, and
> that's acceptable for anything that isn't 3D, which I think I can live
> with. I'm just wondering if anybody has a similar setup running and
> can tell me how well it works overall, and if there are any pitfalls
> to be aware of.

	I have Squeeze on a 12" 1.0 GHz G4.  Performance is somewhat slow, and would benefit from an XFCE or LXDE environment.  As such, i've tended to spend more time on my G5 than the G4.  Also, default video looks pretty horrible on the Go5200 - i think i'm only seeing 256 colors though i haven't investigated further.

Sent from my MacBookPro

Blessed be the pessimist for he hath made backups.