Re: Newbee

On 11 Aug, 2011, at 8:17 PM, Brian Morris wrote:

> I have a g4 powerbook with debian and I can send you the configurations file /etc/xorg.conf (tomorrow, when I have the computer) or you can find it yourself by searching web.
>
> If you want it.

	Yeah, i'd like that.

> What it does is force you to use the button for clicking. However what gave me some adjustment challenges: it is also set to vertical scroll with two fingers. Ok, nice. 3rd it is set to secondary click - which you Really need somehow - by two fingers down and the mouse button click. That is sometimes tricky to do without scrolling.

	?!?  I didn't think trackpads from this era were able to recognize multiple fingers.

> By the way, for speed, I am using the LXDE desktop environment. There is now an lxde cd, as well as a netinstall option for it. much faster and less resource consumptive than the other alternatives.

	Yeah, i might look into that.  Presumably i don't need to install from scratch, so i'll search for an LXDE package.

> I guess you have got the wifi to work ?

	Some years ago i had experimented with Ubuntu on the PowerBook, and i do remember having to setup the Broadcom gizmo.  IIRC the open source version was only able to access the 802.11B protocol then.  Can we use 802.11G now?

> took me a while to realize what they meant by the firmware packages, just dumb I guess, but then I also found there the firmware downloader for video acceleration which helps...

	Are you using the driver from nVidia?  Now that you mention it, there is some annoyance in that the screen is only using 8-bit color.  I wasn't going to bring up the issue until i dealt with the trackpad thing, but the default Debian wallpaper looks really ugly when posterized down to a few colors.

Sent from my MacBookPro

"I think I'll end it all," Sue sighed.