Re: Some 'required' packages broken for powerpcspe port

On Jul 01, 2011, at 09:04, David Kuehling wrote:
> Hi,

Hi!

> just found out that with the current state of the powerpcspe port [1] I
> cannot multistrap even a rudimentary debian system.  A few months ago
> multistrap worked without problems.

Yeah, unfortunately my time to deal with the whole thing lately has been
extremely limited, and will continue to be so for at least the next month
or two due to an X86-based hardware project.  I suspect Sebastian is in a
similar situation.

> There seem to be two culprits:
>
> 1. Nowadays some required packages depend on the metapackage
> 'multiarch-support' (e.g. 'libselinux1').  However 'multiarch-support'
> is only provided by newer eglibc packages, not by the eglibc package
> currently found in the powerpcspe archive (in suite 'unreleased')

That shouldn't be terribly hard to fix.  Really what needs to happen is
for someone with an existing sbuild chroot to figure out which patches
for those core dependencies are still missing from upstream/Debian and
get them merged.

It's on my To-Do list as soon as I finish porting to this X86 hardware.

> 2. Some packages depend on metapackage perlapi-5.10.1
> (e.g. libtext-iconv-perl).  But only perlapi-5.12.3 is provided by
> package 'perl-base'.  The mistake is in the dependencies of packages
> like 'libtext-iconv-perl'.  Looking here:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/libtext-iconv-perl
>
> I see that although all architectures have a package
> libtext-iconv-perl:1.7-2, the perlapi-* packages they depend on differ.
> On arch 'powerpcspe' the dependency is on perlapi-5.10.1, while for
> 'powerpc' it's perlapi-5.12.3.  Maybe the dependency is automatically
> determined at built-time and a simple rebuild is going to fix it?

Yeah, that's a classic Debian package archive "transition".  The version
of the Perl API that a given binary Perl module depends on is based on
what version of Perl was installed when the package was built.

Since our buildds have not really been actively maintained, we have not
been keeping track of those transitions and proactively upgrading the
packages like Perl to the newer versions.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett