Re: Can I install debian on a e300 board?

hi,
>> I haven't build a kernel. I just download
>> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.1a/powerpc/iso-cd/debian-6.0.1a-powerpc-businesscard.iso
>> and extract kernel from it.
> Okay.
Er... Can this image should work for me? Or this image is only work for Apple computer?

> I think tftpboot loads the kernel image to 0x00200000 and upwards. Then
> bootm copies/relocates it to 0x0, because that's the entry address of
> the kernel image. But bootm will corrupt the image data at 0x00200000,
> while it copies the data to 0x0. Just a guess.
I think I have understood your meaning. I tried to download it 0x01000000, but nothing different.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 22:01:28 +0800
Von: Bear<jilingshu@gmail.com>
An: Gerhard Pircher<gerhard_pircher@gmx.net>
Betreff: Re: Can I install debian on a e300 board?

I haven't build a kernel. I just download
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.1a/powerpc/iso-cd/debian-6.0.1a-powerpc-businesscard.iso
and extract kernel from it.
Okay.

Yes, this command is available:
=>  fdt
Usage:
fdt     - flattened device tree utility commands

=>  help fdt
fdt boardsetup                      - Do board-specific set up
fdt chosen - Add/update the /chosen branch in the tree
Hints:
   If the property you are setting/printing has a '#' character or spaces,
       you MUST escape it with a \ character or quote it with ".
Examples: fdt print /               # print the whole tree
            fdt print /cpus "#address-cells"
            fdt set   /cpus "#address-cells" "[00 00 00 01]"

=>
Very good, so the Debian kernel image should be fine, as long as it
supports the CPU on your board.

For more information about flattened device trees in U-Boot you may look
at this site:

http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG

Freescale developers are watching this list).

I will try to build a kernel now :) But I still in a mess where to put
my kernel and how to configure my kernel to load the root filesystem
from SD card. I really have less knowledge on embedded system.

  >  BTW: you're using a load address of 0x00200000 with a 6 MB kernel
  >  image!
  >  Maybe bootm simply overwrites the kernel image with such a low load
  >  address. I would try a higher one (maybe 0x01000000).
I am not familiar with u-boot kernel load mechanical. If I load a image
into 0x00200000, what would happen? Will the image be loaded into
0x00000000 - 0x00200000? Thanks.
I think tftpboot loads the kernel image to 0x00200000 and upwards. Then
bootm copies/relocates it to 0x0, because that's the entry address of
the kernel image. But bootm will corrupt the image data at 0x00200000,
while it copies the data to 0x0. Just a guess.

Gerhard