Re: wheezy netinst problem on G5 iMac

I wrote:

Hi folks,

I've got wheezy running happily on my old 17" G5 iMac, and since I now
have a "new" 20" machine, I want to set up the same dual-boot setup I
have on the 17". So I downloaded the current netinst snapshot, and the
first stage of the installation went without a hitch, including the
partitioning. Then it asked me to reboot into the new system, and
everything looked normal till it asked me to login. Then I found there
was no response from the mouse or keyboard. I did a hard reboot and
tried again, but same result. Is this a known issue? I'm not sure what
to do next.

Hmmm.... no replies. I'm not sure what to do. I think I probably have two options:

1. Hope this keyboard freeze won't happen if I install squeeze. So I could do that, and if it works, upgrade to wheezy and reinstall all the extra stuff I've got loaded on the other machine. A big, long, fiddly job.

2. Clone the system on my other machine and copy it over. This is what I'd rather do. I've set up an ext4 partition on an external drive. If I mount it as say /mnt/external, is the correct command

cp -R / /mnt/external   ???

Then if I get that far, I would connect the external drive to my new machine, and as I already have the partitions set up, I'd have to boot from a CD system, mount both partitions (the target partition on my new machine and the partition on my external drive where I copied everything). Then do cp -R with the appropriate source and destination.

Please, somebody, am I on the right track? And if so, how can I set up a system on a CD that will let me do this second copy?

Hoping somebody can give me a bit of direction here.

Cheers,  Mike.

          Mike Hore        mike_hore@aapt.net.au