sound problem ibook g4

Hi I have been using debian squeeze and now sid  on a ibookg g4 1.2Ghz which  i believe is a  late 2004 machine - 30G harddrive.

Some time ago  (way before squeeze) sound  stopped working at all.

instead I get a scratchy terrible sound that sounds like someone blowing air under their tongue while scratching their fingernails on glass, whenever I try to listen to a ogg or mp3 lecture or music.

When I downloaded a  ubuntu live disk 10.04 sound works fine. So it is not a hardware problem.

I had the problem for some before squeeze time and was running squeeze with this problem too. I tried some random things i googled - such as putting snd-powermac in the /etc/modules directory as well as putting

the  following modules to be blacklisted:

snd-aoa
snd-aoa-codec-tas
snd-aoa-fabric-layout
snd-aoa-i2sbus
snd-aoa-soundbus

-
this had no effect. still the same bad sound.

I upgraded to the latest sid kernel 2.6.38-2
from the squeeze kernel and
no help. I also tried installing the latest alsa-driver from the alsa web site and this did not help?

Is there anything that I can do to get this very portable nice laptop sound working? It worked fine for the longest time...

here is lsmod|grep snd

snd_powermac           58851  0
snd_pcm_oss            44965  0
snd_mixer_oss          19254  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                68590  2 snd_powermac,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy           4759  0
snd_seq_oss            33902  0
snd_seq_midi            8352  0
snd_rawmidi            22252  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event      7904  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                53422  6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer              21631  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device          8861  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd                    55632  11 snd_powermac,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore               8067  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          9121  1 snd_pcm

Thanks!
Mitchell Kaks