Re: Using a second screen with an iBook G4

Hi, Benjamin.

On 04/24/11 12:26, Benjamin Cama wrote:
> I think this limitation is due to some Xorg configuration parameter. I
> think that with a Screen section with a larger virtual resolution you
> can solve this, as in this excerpt:

Oh, sure. Now that you mention this, it does make sense. I will try hardcoding
the configuration with a custom xorg.conf.

> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Default Screen"
> […]
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Virtual         3360 1050
>         EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> (Here, it's calculated for two 1680x1050 monitors side by side; do the
> math for your 1024x768 + 1920x1080)

Sure, no problems. In the worst case of lack of memory, I think that I can try
to lower the ColorDepth to, say, 16. It's not like I will be able to notice anyway.

> BTW, the “Open Firmware” limitation is just a hint for the OS, I think;
> you can get larger resolution in linux without this hack. It's just a
> soft limitation.

Did not know about that. I thought (but have not investigated) that it had some
effect on the device-tree that is exposed under /proc.

Thanks for the comments. I will post back my results.

BTW, just one invitation: what about if we documented some of the
difficulties/solutions in the Debian wiki for PowerPC? That would be a very good
thing with many good side effects, I think:

* Documenting/making a compilation/knowledge base is fun.
* It may help many others and can be used as a reference (and may help even
ourselves when we forget the exact steps that we took a few months ago and need
to repeat some procedure).
* Make it easy to spot points that need to be fixed/automated in a way that the
rest of the distribution works fine with PowerPC out-of-the-box.
* Make it apparent that the PowerPC port is alive and healthy.

The page at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnPowerPC is a good starting point.

I have some collected stuff at

    https://github.com/rbrito/powerpc-tutorial

which I surely wouldn't mind including in the wiki pages and, the parts that are
suitable, in the Debian installation manual.

Some things that are simple but which need to be written and not just part of
the folklore are, for instance:

* How can I prepare a rescue/live bootable CD for PowerPC? If our solution is
good enough, this can be integrated into live-helper or whatever it is called
nowadays.
* Booting from a Firewire disk is probably well known for Mac users, but the
same is not as well known for a USB stick/drive/whatever, despite this being
simple enough (just a few lines).

If other people would join me in this, I can start working on this, as I want
PowerPC to have a long life (well, at least, as much as I have access to such
hardware, but possibly more).

Regards,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA