Re: A short tutorial on running GRUB2 on a PPC

Dear Risto and other people,

On 04/04/11 05:30, Risto Suominen wrote:
> 2011/4/3, Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br>:
>> http://rb.doesntexist.org/blog/posts/running_grub2_on_powerpc_macs/

Just for the record, I have converted both my iBook G3 600MHz and my iBook G4
1.3GHz to grub2 and both are working very well (well, my iBook G3 seems to be
overheating once again, but when it works it is enough to test some programs).

I would recommend it for others to try it and go back only if you have annoying
problems. You problably won't, but who knows? :-)

> My main concern with yaboot has been (until now) its inability to specify
> initrd, unless given in cfg file. Typically with external disks, when root
> device has changed, and the boot stops.
>
> Is it possible with grub2 to specify initrd manually?

As Michel already told you, this problem doesn't occur with grub2: it detects
the kernels that you have already installed (with no need to mess with update
yaboot.conf and run ybin), you can use tab-completion (very handy when you are
in some difficult situation) and all your filesystems can be ext2/3/4, xfs,
btrfs etc.

I just converted things here (in both notebooks) to ext4, as I want to take
advantage of delayed allocation and extents, so I don't know how it would work
with something outside of the ext-family.

I highly recommend it for other people.

And, of course, once you are satisfied with it, you can simply set it as default
in the NVRAM (say, with the boot-device variable of OF).

Hope this helps, Rogério Brito.

- --
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
http://rb.doesntexist.org : Packages for LaTeX : algorithms.berlios.de