Re: Squeeze on Lombard

Hi Risto,

* Risto Suominen <risto.suominen@gmail.com> [2011-04-10 18:48:21 +0300]:
> After installing Squeeze on a PowerBook G3 Lombard, I cannot avoid
> sounding negative. Compared to Lenny...

Never tried Lenny, I installed debian testing (squeeze) on my powerbook
G4, it took me a big week to have everything working. (from keyboard configuration, to X)

> What is most important when it comes to computers? Stability, I guess.
> The machine practically stops after some minutes. Top shows 99%wa
> (iowait). Bug in ide driver?

I'm on testing/sid til now, and I use my laptop as production tool, it's
quite stable, I've lost video hardware acceleration since 2.6.38 but the
computer is still usable (I don't really play games)

> Then there are smaller things. Like Finnish keyboard mapping is not
> working out-of-the-box.

Didn'you have to try different options in /etc/default/keyboard in Lenny
to have the right keymap ?

> Hard to see any progress here. Why is this happening for things that
> have been working in previous version?
>
> And Wheezy... what is it going to bring us? At least it doesn't boot
> at all without video=ofonly on any PowerMac i know.

I'm on wheezy/sid (with some experimental packages) and I'm happy with
debian !

The only thing that worth (or not) complaining are flash/gnash, skype,
and all the other tools officialy binary available for linux, x86(64)
only...

--
tosoa.
Linux lunatex 2.6.38-2-powerpc #1 Thu Apr 7 05:23:43 UTC 2011 ppc GNU/Linux