Re: debian-powerpc support

> What is the reason for using a distribution instead of building anything
> yourself?
That's the question I'm trying to find an answer to. We have a basic
'distro' (kernel and a minimal set of user land tools, mostly based on
busybox). That 'distro' is maintained in-house and has been rolled out
and used for years. The discussion now goes on whether we should use
that 'distro' and some 50 packages required to run the software we've
acquired or to use something like Debian to be more flexible in the
future. Personally, I don't see the need for that flexibility but I'm
not representing everyone's view involved in that discussion.

On 29 August 2010 05:06, Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 07:28:01AM -0700, Gary Driggs wrote:
>> On Aug 28, 2010, at 5:31 AM, Bastian Blank wrote:
>> > And NetBSD actually supports less cpu architectures then Linux.
>> That's never been true. NetBSD currently supports 15 different CPU types; http://netbsd.org/ports
>
> Well, if you count it that way, then Linux supports at least 26. If you
> count it the Linux way, then only eleven remains compared to 22 for
> Linux.
>
>> > No, most embedded devices use ARM or MIPS cpus in the meantime.
>> I doubt its possible to quantify which architecture is used most often for embedded systems but Cisco is one of many licensees that have built a wide variety of devices based on POWER CPUs. q.v. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC#Licenses and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_POWER
>
> All the embedded Apple products (iPhone, iPad) are ARM based. Most of
> the embedded routers (Linksys, ...) are MIPS (Broadcom, SOC) based. I
> would not call the classic Cisco products embedded.
>
> Bastian
>
> --
> Only a fool fights in a burning house.
>                -- Kank the Klingon, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown
>

> --

Andreas Koestler, Software Engineer
Leica Geosystems Pty Ltd
270 Gladstone Road, Dutton Park QLD 4102
Main: +61 7 3891 9772     Direct: +61 7 3117 8808
Fax: +61 7 3891 9336
Email: andreas.koestler@leica-geosystems.com

************www.leica-geosystems.com*************

when it has to be right, Leica Geosystems

Please  consider the environment before printing this email.