Re: debian-powerpc support

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 09:45:09PM -0700, Brian Morris wrote:
> remember that you are free to take what you want and to customize what
> you want, for instance you can take just the core system from debian
> at least and wouldn't that help you versus putting together your own
> custom distro from kernel.org  gnu.org or something like that ?

What is the reason for using a distribution instead of building anything
yourself?

> you may also wish to consider netbsd depending on your needs, it is
> quite stable and has fewer porting issues for applications, the
> kernel/ driver interface is more consistent.

NetBSD is not supported with Debian. And NetBSD actually supports less
cpu architectures then Linux.

> myself I am mostly using ubuntu these days -- even though the powerpc
> is officially unofficial or "community" supported, I believe that it
> is polished up from the debian it is derived from, as more of a
> production system, however for development purposes plain debian may
> be a better bet.

Ubuntu != Debian.

> Note there are millions of power processors sold every month, tens of
> millions probably even, so it is not a matter of whether they are
> going away, it is more a matter of are the mfgs of the devices where
> they are used, using Linux, and in particular the distribution issue.

No, most embedded devices use ARM or MIPS cpus in the meantime.

Bastian

--
Youth doesn't excuse everything.
		-- Dr. Janice Lester (in Kirk's body), "Turnabout Intruder",