debian-powerpc support

Hello all,
This is my first post in this mailinglist. We're considering using the
Debian powerpc port on an embedded device for one of our on-board
systems. Basically, the choice will have to be made whether we're
going for a inhouse minimal distribution specifically targeting the
target board or going with the debian powerpc port mainly because of
it's package management and the availability of system and security
updates. My question now is, is that a valid point? Browsing the
archives here it seems that the port has lost (and still is loosing)
momentum over the recent years. How big is the user/developer
community? Does anyone know what the future plans regarding this port
are?

Andreas Koestler, Software Engineer
Leica Geosystems Pty Ltd
270 Gladstone Road, Dutton Park QLD 4102
Main: +61 7 3891 9772     Direct: +61 7 3117 8808
Fax: +61 7 3891 9336
Email: andreas.koestler@leica-geosystems.com

************www.leica-geosystems.com*************

when it has to be right, Leica Geosystems

Please  consider the environment before printing this email.