Re: New Yaboot in Sid

Hi Gaudenz,

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 08:08:30PM +0100, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> Nice to see you back doing yaboot work! However this upload is very
> unfortunate. Do you still follow debian-devel-announce and do you know
> that we are currently in deep-freeze and according to the freeze
> exception policy posted by the release team [1] this upload has very
> little chance of being accepted into squeeze. I did not see any
> consultation with the release team before your upload. Thias means
> that the fixes for the RC bugs against yaboot need to go through
> testing-proposed-updates and that's not they way the release team
> likes things to be done...

I knew about the freeze, but I did not see the message from Neil about
the deep-freeze.  If I did, I would have uploaded it to experimental.
I realized now this was a bad idea and I sincerely apologize for that.
If I had made that upload 4 months earlier, it would probably have
been different.  In the case of a downgrading, my first thought was
about testing-proposed-updates, seconded by adding an ugly epoch to
the package in unstable.  I now have plenty of time for Debian and
seeing that there was no visible activity on yaboot RC bugs, I decided
to resume my task as a DD, as I would hate to see arch:powerpc dropped
from the release.

> Excerpts from Aurélien GÉRÔME's message of Mit Dez 01 22:48:28 +0100 2010:
> > I just updated the Yaboot package in Sid[1] with the latest upstream
> > release which works fine on my AlBook G4 with PATA disks.  The package
> > does not yet contain *new* non-upstream fixes, most notably interesting
> > Gentoo & Ubuntu patches relating to PowerMac SATA disks.  However,
> > another upload will come in the upcoming days, probably with a patched
> > yaboot-installer too.  If someone has already done some work, please
> > do not hesitate to share it as patches on the BTS.  Any help on the
> > matter is very welcomed.
>
> I'm currently in the process of sponsoring an NMU from Milan Kupcevic
> to fix the yaboot RC bugs. Milan can you add your patches to the BTS?
>
> What are your plans for yaboot in squeeze? IMO this is at the moment
> the most pressing issue.

Right now, I am writing some new code in ofpath to make it work on the
PowerMacs I have access to.  Once I got it to work, I was planning on
uploading it early with D-I images for people on this list to test it.
Idem for the "UUID" RC bug.

Well, now, somehow to fix my rogue upload, we can upload yaboot_1.3.13a
to testing-proposed-updates and yaboot_1.3.16 to unstable, each of them
fixing the RC bugs, and letting the Release Team decide what to accept.
If it is not satisfying having the same version in both Squeeze and
Sid, we can do an epoch upload of yaboot_1:1.3.13a to unstable.

> Milan is willing to act as a co-maintainer for yaboot. Can you add
> him to the alioth project?

Sure, he is very welcomed.

Cheers,
--