Re: PPC-specific netatalk problems

On 02/12/10 13:04, Gregory Seidman wrote:
I'm running Debian stable (mostly) on my home server on an x86 box, and a
nearly identical setup on my parents' home server (which I administer) on a
Mac G4 tower. I recently built a netatalk package with OpenSSL (there are
licensing issues, which is why I had to build it myself) on both systems,
with identical dependencies. I also installed and configured identically
the avahi daemon to advertise the shares. The goal is to allow my wife's
Mac laptop to use our home server's RAID as a Time Machine backup, which
seems to work beautifully, and to allow my father's Mac laptop to use their
home server's RAID as a Time Machine backup, which doesn't work at all.

I'm betting on some kind of unpleasant endianness issue with netatalk.
There are two symptoms of the problem at my parents' house: the share isn't
an option in the Time Machine control panel, and manually logging into the
share fails on a bad password (even though I am using afppasswd to set the
password explicitly and I am certain I am typing it correctly).

Has anyone else had any luck with netatalk (supporting OpenSSL) on PPC?

--Greg

Samba works well to do this:
http://clivemenzies.co.uk/help/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=8&id=33&Itemid=58

HTH