Re: Installing nouveau hints?

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 12:21 AM, Jeroen Diederen <jjhdiederen@zonnet.nl> wrote:
> Get inspiration for xorg.conf here:

> http://mac.linux.be/content/xorgconf-file-powerbook-g415-12-lucid-lynx

I appreciate the suggestion, Jeroen. Unfortunately that is precisely
the xorg.conf that I tried in vain with Debian, not quite getting to
X.  The /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old files ends with a highly informative:

    (EE) [drm] failed to open device
    (EE) No devices detected.

    Fatal server error:
    no screens found

Funny thing is that there is xserver-xorg-video-nouveau already
installed, I believe by default.  I'm downloading the debugging
packages now, but just being a 'normal' user I have no idea how to use
them.

However this experiment adds one piece to the puzzle, since if I
recall correctly Lucid also uses  2.6.32, and it appears to work with
nouveau.  Hence, upgrading to a  > 2.6.32 kernel may well not solve my
problem.  So unless someone can suggest a way to make sid work with
nouveau I think I may try to resize the '/' partition and make the
thing dual boot Ubuntu after Meercat comes out next week.Eventually
I'm guessing sid will start defaulting to nouveau and the install
should be OK (Fedora has been using nouveau by default since 11,
almost a year and a half ago, but dropped PPC after 12, so I'd have to
install 12 and yum-upgrade to 13).

Does anyone how long after a release the community PPC versions of
Ubuntu tend to be uploaded?  There is no sign of a 10.10 beta at:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads

I'm a big believer in LTS & stable versions of releases, but with
something as cutting edge as nouveau probably the latest & greatest
version is best.