Re: Installing nouveau hints?

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Gary Driggs <gdriggs@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 8, 2010, at 5:08 PM, Gnu Turd  wrote:
>
>> it even worth the effort?  Will this machine still be pokey, even with nouveau installed?
>
> I don't have any experience with that particular card & driver. But if you know how much VRAM it has & what kind of apps you'll run on the system you'll have a better notion of how to proceed. Also, how long will you be using this system before it's retired?

Actually, it isn't my machine, it belongs to a Mac-using friend of
mine who makes his bread and butter doing video production with Final
Cut Pro, After Effects, etc.  He wanted to teach himself Blender and
thought Linux would be better for that for some reason, so that is
going to be the main app.  I've never used Mac hardware before, but
have been using Linux as my OS for 5 years and suggested Debian to
him, both because I like it and because it is one of the few distros
that still supports the old PPC laptop he wanted to devote to this
project. I didn't realize how limited proprietary support was on the
PPC architecture, I rather assumed I'd be able to install the Nvidia
driver, but that isn't the case.  I suspect that once he sees how
crummy the performance is with Debian for graphic apps he'll blow
Jaguar (or whatever big cat came with it) back on the system, but I
thought I'd try to install nouveau on the box to show Linux in its
best light, in any case.  I realize that if I just wait until Squeeze
is released as stable that the kernel will jump ahead and it will be
easy to run nouveau but that might not happen for 6-8 months.
(Personally, I hope they don't release Squeeze as stable for a
loooooong time, I'm very happy with my Lenny desktop and don't much
care for Squeeze in its current shape).

> As for compiling your own kernel on PPC, check the list archives for possible roadblocks to installing your compiled kernel. I'd suggest searching for ofpath & ybin:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/cgi-bin/search?query=ofpath+ybin&DEFAULTOP=or&author=&list=debian-powerpc&sort=date&HITSPERPAGE=10&language=en

There were over 1400 hits for those terms, I scanned the first hundred
or so, but didn't see anything.  I didn't even know what ofpath & ybin
were.  I made the terms 'AND' searches and threw in 'kernel' but still
didn't see much. I gather yaboot loads firmware, so I can see how that
might be an issue, but I think the main problem is that nouveau just
wasn't incorporated in to the 2.6.32 kernel yet.