Re: patches to ybin

On Jul 28, 2010, at 1:15 PM, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:

Excerpts from Rick Thomas's message of Mon Jul 26 00:47:21 -0400 2010:
On Jul 21, 2010, at 6:18 PM, Rogério Brito wrote:
On Jul 21 2010, Rick Thomas wrote:
The second half is that whatever part of the installer that builds the
initial yaboot.conf (the one that gets passed to ybin when it's time
to install the bootloader) is not using the new syntax when it needs
to.  I'd try to fix that myself (I expect it's just a shell script)
but I don't know what file in what udeb in what part of the installer
to look at.

You are probably looking for yaboot-installer which is in
packages/arch/powerpc/yaboot-installer/.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that...

The third half of the problem is that whatever the kernel update deb
uses to build a new yaboot.conf sometimes gets it wrong.  Again, I
expect that's just a shell script and I could probably fix it if
somebody would point me to the right place to look.

I don't think that the kernel postinst script changes anything in the
yaboot.conf. To be sure you have to check the debian kernel package.

The kernel package just uses the yaboot.conf that's already there.

Well, that can't be entirely true. If I install Lenny on one of my test machines then try to upgrade to Squeeze, I get a garbled yaboot.conf and the machine refuses to boot until I do some surgery with a rescue CD. I don't know whether it's the kernel package or something it drags in that is causing this. Any help will be much appreciated!!!

Rick